martes, 27 de septiembre de 2011

We Win

The books in Tralfamadore are like a picture. They are messages mixed together perfectly to evoke a beautiful and deep image of life. Most importantly, these books are (like all else in Tralfamadore), not written lineally. “There is no beginning, no middle, no end, no suspense, no moral, no causes, no effects.” In other words, there is no room for surprise.

 I can’t picture myself living in such a measured world for more than a few minutes. I would probably explode.

 In a way the world of the Tralfamadorians can be seen as a huge chaos. With time being just a bunch or parallel moments, there is no way that the world can be organized. To me, Tralfamadore is a world of supreme order. They never ask themselves why the world is as it is, they never question living or wars. They have nothing worth living for. This makes life just a thing they have to go through every day because it is written that way. There is no room for a bit of chaos. There is no room for risk taking or for fighting for what you believe in. Tralfamadore just is, and that is what makes the whole thing dull.

“Vy you? Vy anybody?” 
This quote is actually quite touching to me and I find that it may describe many soldiers who actually lived during World War II. Most of the soldiers were just kids when they went to war, and although the posters said that they were doing it for their country I can’t help but think that they always asked themselves: why? Why were they killing the Jews? Why were they killing anyone who was different? Why were they killing at all? I can’t imagine that the soldiers were happy. I believe that any soldier has the right to be bitter and distressed. They should not have to see what they see in war. No one should have to see that. And when I think about it I always end up with the same question: If no one likes war… Why do we do it in the first place?

The world of the Tralfamadorians is very different from ours, and (call me biased) I believe our world is better. Not only a bit better, better all the way. The idea of the Tralfamadorians that life just is and that there is no way to change it makes the everything seem dull. The main difference between the Tralfamadorians and us stands in one small word: why. We ask ourselves why we live the way we do while they just say “it just is.” To me this is just a lie. It can’t be possible. There is no way that we can live without wanting to change anything, just letting people die and excusing ourselves with a simple “it just is.” If life is already written down then what is the point in living it? 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario